i love this russet coloured fabric, but it is a pain to sew because it’s so thick! I did manage to make a bolero a while back, and it was perfect for my mini hats. So I thought I’d run up a waistcoat to add to my steampunk wardrobe. Being so thick the eventual fit of the waistcoat actually feels great…perfect for the autumn and winter rather than our current season. But I baulked at doing the buttonholes. Even with my sewing machine’s buttonhole foot I am still cautious about making them. As it happened I realised that the fit on this garment was actually rather too snug! I must have taken the side seams in a little too much. With the front edges touching the fit was perfect. And it was this that presented the solution to the closure…frog fastenings! No buttonholes needed. No buttons needed. And the front edges closed and touching. I simply sewed them on while watching the finals of Masterchef on TV!
Having seen how easy, and decorative this type of fastening is i shall definately be using it again in the future.