All patched up

Remember my haul of vintage materials? I’ve just finished a waistcoat made using the lovely fabric swatches and the fit and feel of the finished garment is great! The fabric was quite thick so sewing the pieces together was quite challenging, and pressing each seam with an iron was essential. I even had to change sewing machines half way through. Although I had the Toyota serviced it never really seemed right and it groaned its way through until finally the bobbin tension went. So I switched to the Brother and purred through the remainder of the make.

The swatches were cut into squares and sewn to fit the waistcoat sections

The swatches were cut into squares and sewn to fit the waistcoat sections

image

The patched pieces were sewn onto a plain fabric, which gave more body, before adding the pale grey/mauve lining. Without enough patches for the three back panels I used a piece of fancy fabric in Crimson and gold. Because of the fabric weights this garment feels very structured, a little like soft armour! I’ve used four metal buttons to finish it off.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s